Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Aging gracefully

All this talk from Eliza about pixie cuts got me thinking about the pixie cuts I used to get on a pretty regular basis. In fact, I didn't grow my hair any longer until I went away to BYU and my roommates encouraged me.


And I do not necessarily wake up in the morning and get surprised that I no longer look like this.

But I do often get a jolt when I see a photograph of myself - and wonder where the years went!


Anna May and I were discussing this today - how the mirror image is always a surprise to us.

I was reminded of a time many years ago - close to 40 years ago - when Dad and I lived with Helen and Pop for a couple of months the summer after we were married. Grandmother Taylor was living there too, and she usually took naps on the chaise lounge in the sun room. Often I would see her staring at her arms and hands when she awoke. Helen said, "I think she's been dreaming about a long ago time and she's surprised to see how old her skin looks."


I think I can identify with that! (This is Grandmother Taylor holding Karen.)

But my curls have certainly remained pretty much intact!! (I had long hair for most of the time you kids were growing up - and long hair pulls the curls out - the best feature of longer locks I might add!) (Except that doesn't explain why I got perms - at least I don't get them anymore!!)


Those curls just want to have their own way!!


And I think I've lost my eyebrows too!!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I think I'm losing my eyebrows too. Guess I's better learn how to draw them in.

Alice said...

I never had curls and would dearly love them now. I am seriously considering another perm. I just can't find the time for my friend to give me one. I am trying to see how long my hair will grow at this age in my life. I lost my eyebrows when Dad bought us that stuff from Vivian Woodard and I got a little carried away with the tweezers. Oh, to go back to certain times in our lives. I would change a couple of things but not everything.