Saturday, December 26, 2009

42 years ago!!


42 years ago we came home from our honeymoon - and visited both of our families. When we got to GH, someone, Leslie or Donna I think, ran out of the house shouting, "There are millions of presents under the tree - and they are all for YOU!!!

You need to understand a couple of things. First, a flocked tree was an absolute luxury that our family had never indulged in. And a flocked tree with "themed" decor was also unheard of in our household. So my siblings were duly impressed when the tree from the reception came to the house for its last hurrah.

And secondly, gifts weren't usually under the tree. On Christmas Eve, you picked a spot and one of Dad's work socks. And you pinned said sock, with your name pinned to it also, on the chair or section of the couch you were claiming. When Santa came, he deposited gifts on your spot - and then covered them with a piece of tissue paper. Apparently that tradition did not last much past my childhood - but I remember it well. And many years later, when I was up late on Christmas Eve, wrapping what seemed like far too many gifts, I was thinking that I wished we had started the tissue paper tradition ourselves!!

Just a little day-after-Christmas memory for your perusal!!

1 comment:

Alice said...

Thanks for the memories. I remember that tradition well. We still do the stocking on the Chair thing, but we wrap all the presents.