Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Lipstick!


I was putting on lipstick this morning and thought about how the whole issue of lipstick has changed and evolved. When I was girl, being allowed to wear lipstick was a right of passage into womanhood! Now I'm not sure how women really feel about lipstick. I know that I put it on in the morning - and that's it - however long it lasts is it for me.

Mary Stevens - circa 1938 - not sure if the lipstick and blush are real or "painted on!"

I know women who truly will not be seen without it. In fact tonight, when we were at a restaurant for our "Girls of '45" get together, I asked the waiter to take our picture - and Sandee wouldn't hear of it until she put on fresh lipstick!!

I remember a friend once saying that if she walked into the room naked, her husband might not even notice - but if she didn't have lipstick on, he would!

I also remember watching older girls put on lipstick in the restrooms at school - many of them used some amazing techniques that I was sure I would never be able to master. Fortunately, I have lived long without the skills, and it seems to have not made a difference.

I know that the magazine ads make lipstick look like it's still pretty essential. And it's certainly for sale everywhere. But most of the women I'm around seem to mostly use Chapstick and lip gloss - many times a day.

Maybe I'm just genetically predisposed to have self-moistening lips, but my lips don't get dry - and they survive nicely with my once a morning contribution of Carmex and Coty.

And I've never worried much about being trendy about make-up.

But I do feel naked without mascara!

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I kind of see a little bit of Hester in this picture. Is it just me?

Eliza said...

P.S. I never wear lipstick but I like the way it looks on other people. Maybe someday I will start.

Karen said...

I don't wear lipstick often. I'm like Eliza though, in that I like the way it looks on others and I've several times tried to pick up the habit.

Hannahtess said...

It's interesting you saw hester in the picture, I saw a bit of Hannah H.

I concur, I never wear lipstick (unless it is a gorgeous blend of orange and red of course!)

Alice said...

I didn't start wearing lipstick until I turned 40 so maybe you just need to wait a few years.