Monday, March 01, 2010

Long ago and far away!!


I came across this photo recently, and it brought back a flood of memories.

It's Girls' Camp 1975 in Centerville, Utah. Dale Lords was our ward Young Women President - and she asked for me to be the Camp Director.

It was an interesting experience - one I didn't totally enjoy - except for my association with the leaders there. The girls were less than friendly - they short-sheeted my bed, put Saran Wrap over the toilet bowls, and talked all night long!! Of course, as soon as one of them didn't feel well, it was a plaintive, "Sister Terrill?"

But I remember taking the 5 mile hike - and Dale and I ended up at the tail end. And Dale kept me laughing the whole way. "I'm sure this is the 3rd time we've circled this pine tree. I know we've gone 10 miles already!" A woman after my own heart!!

A few months later, she and her husband and family moved to Oregon, I believe. We soon got word that Dale had been killed in a tragic auto accident. There had been other deaths by auto accidents in the Centerville Ward we lived in - and it was a pretty new experience for me to lose people so suddenly and unexpectedly.

Seeing this photo was like a little frozen moment in time - one that won't come back.

Treasure the here and now.

1 comment:

Alice said...

You are so right. We really need to live in the moment and take advantage of every opprotunity that we have to serve.