Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Books I've Read the Past While

I have been reading up a storm it seems - but then someone will say, "So, what are you reading?" and my mind goes blank!!

A list:

Theo Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham - I am an unabashed Grisham fan - this is his initial foray into the world of adolescent fiction. I'm not sure adolescents will like it though. But like all Grisham books, I find it a "page turner" but not always because it's gripping or scary - I just want to get the "rest of the story" as they say.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford - I loved this!! It's about WW II and the Japanese internment camps - but it's a love story - the best kind! Maybe not literature - but a great summer read.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - can I just say this was wonderful reading!! It's a story of love and loss and victory - told by the dog!! (and it works!!)

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai - strange and Indian - but then most of the Indian books I read are - but it's compelling. And it paints very vivid word pictures.

Joe Hill by Wallace Stegner - I'm currently plowing through this, but it's not very compelling. Usually Stegner is - so I'm a little perplexed.

I'm re-reading Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton for my book group in September. I always like her books - even in the re-reading. Maybe it's a sign I've forgotten them from the first time!!

And I've read a plethora of forgettable adolescent novels this spring - mostly to see if I want to recommend them to my students - they are usually well-written as far as demonstrating competent prose, but they don't "speak to me" so much. One was about a girl with an autistic brother - it was pretty well done - but it almost seemed too politically correct, if you follow my drift.

I need to find something to take to Phoebe's - or maybe she will have something there - where's some good airplane fiction when you need it??






No comments: