Monday, July 19, 2010

Late night thoughts on the journey we call mothering


I'm here at Phoebe's with access only to her photos - but it's the thought that counts!

When I was a little girl, I played with dolls all the time. I didn't have the latest dolls or accessories, but I dreamed of having them. I look at the variety and availability of doll gear today and wonder how I would have reacted to having such splendor!!

But we made do. I was third oldest of 12, so there was lots of real baby gear around for us to modify. We set up households and played in them.

I also tended younger siblings. I remember standing by my youngest brother's crib and rocking it gently so he'd go to sleep. That was often my assignment. And I babysat lots and lots.

I thought I knew what mothering meant and what it entails. When I had my first child, my mother kept saying, "Why do you seem so amazed by all this? You grew up with babies all around you?"

I did "catch on" eventually. And I got the external part of it wired. But I'm still having "ah ha" moments when I watch other women, mostly the young women I see in my daily life, doing or saying things that I wish I'd done or said with my children.

We went to visit Phoebe's new little boy tonight - he was born this afternoon, and I'm here with her other children for the next two weeks. And as I sat and held this sweet little person, I was thinking about my own children. I'm not sure I "cherished" their babyhood. I think I thought often about "moving along" and getting to a point where life was more organized and predictable.

With my last child though, I determined to enjoy his infancy. My husband would laugh when he'd hear me telling someone that I couldn't do something or help with something because I had a new baby. He'd say, "Noah is 9 months old Barbara." And I'd say, "He's the last baby I'll ever have. He's still new."

I sat and held him and read stories to him and took him for walks and played with him. I really focused on him as a baby. And he was a good baby. He loved to sit quietly in your lap and be read to. He loved to go with you.

The great irony here is that Noah is our wayward boy. Noah is sweet, loving, kind, and out of the loop with the rest of the family. He not only marches to the beat of his own drum, none of us are sure just what that drum beat is. And he's not making very good choices along the way.

I thought I'd erred by not giving my other children enough time. So, I gave the last one lots more time.

I guess it doesn't have everything to do with what you do as a mother. I guess it has more to do with who your children are.

I know all this. I've gone over and over it in my head, with my husband, with my other kids, with my friends.

When I see a sweet new baby though, it all comes back to me - and seems even more poignant.

Just some thoughts. I shouldn't be left alone so much!!

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I think you did everything right. Because--rarely do people with all the experience of a grandmother actually do the raising of babies. We can only do what we can with the knowledge and understanding that we have at the time. And then, like you said, they turn into their own people and make their own choices.

If you hadn't spent all that time with Noah then you would be beating yourself up for that. This way, you have those memories. Plus the experience of having Noah around, who is living and breathing and often smiling, despite the unhappiness elsewhere in his life, you still have him near in many ways.

Karen said...

I remember trying to enjoy my babies because women kept telling me it would go by fast. So, I tried to remember that and enjoy them. I know I wasn't always sucessful at this, but I didn't wish their childhood away, which makes me feel better.

I do think I did better at enjoying my younger kids, (maybe because I was more experienced, relaxed, and who knows?)

I agree with Eliza, if you hadn't spent that time, you would have been blaming yourself for not spending enough time.

I'm sure your heart aches though. It is hard worrying about your grown up children.

Diane said...

I am always happy to visit your blog. Today I am happy that we are connected. Because of your mothering skills I have a very happy son!

I totally agree with you about observing young mothers and the "ah ha" moments! They seem so wise in a way I just know I never was. But just recently I had a family friend visiting who told me that she learned all about being a mother from watching me. So who knows, we can't see ourselves.

One more thing - when the time comes, I am really looking forward to sharing the grandmothering with you!

grannybabs said...

So am I!!

bonny with a Y said...

i still think that noah is one of the finest human beings i know. rarely do you encounter a young man who is gentle and kind and polite in the midst of all that his life entails. so i think that counts for quite a lot.