Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"A Beggar's Banquet"

For those of you who may be unaware of such information, school teachers, in California anyway, are only paid ten months out of the year. This is not so bad, since we only really work 9 1/2 months out of the year. But it does mean that you go from June 30th to September 30th without a paycheck.

You also may be unaware of the fact that at my school, we have a monthly or maybe every 6 weeks or so potluck lunch in the staff room. My good friend Marcie (who is a member of my ward in addition to being a teacher) usually spearheads things and gets out a flyer. And being the creative woman that she is, she always comes up with a theme. I usually provide the tablecloths and a pretty good main dish - at least it always gets snarfed up first. (That occurrence is more to be attributed to the fact that Marcie and I are the only ones who really "cook" - the rest just "fix food" - than to any superiority of my cooking. But I do have some specialties that are certainly "passing fair.")

So this month we had a "Beggar's Banquet," where we were supposed to come up with whatever we could out of our cupboards and freezers. Marcie made fudge. I made Shepherd's Pie. And there was a lot of chips and salsa too! Some of them must manage their money better, because there were a couple of buckets of chicken - and they hadn't made them themselves! And instead of buying flowers for centerpieces, I wandered around the campus classrooms and offices and borrowed plants !

This little exercise got me thinking, and I decided to see how long I could subsist on what was in my cupboards and freezer. I did go to the store for fresh produce, milk, yogurt, and bread, but I haven't really bought "groceries" for a couple of weeks now. It is somewhat liberating too. I even put on Sunday dinner last Sunday without going to the store (there was a lot of sour cream in the fridge so we had stroganoff.)

We are scraping bottom now though, so I hope I can get out of my meetings in a timely manner tomorrow so I can go to the store before dinner!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I;ve thought about doing that--everytime I go grocery shopping and then have to search for places to put all the food when I get home--just to see if I could do it. Maybe I'll try it for the next month. I do have a freezer full of stuff too.