Sunday, September 12, 2010

A good read -

Eliza has posted about These is My Words, a novel/biography by Nancy Turner. My book group read it some time ago, and I quite enjoyed it. She also noted that there were two sequels, and she recommended them to me. So I dutifully headed off to the new Monrovia Library and discovered that neither one of them was in the system. But they did have The Water and the Blood by the same author, and I needed something to read, so I checked it out.

Frankly, it's almost a better read than her first book. It takes place in East Texas, and the time period is World War II. I can't say much without spoiling it for any who might want to read it, but I will say that it's a compelling read with lots of historical detail that I find fascinating.

It's really a novel about prejudice, small-mindedness, resistance to change, religious fanaticism, and hypocrisy.

And it's a love story.

Let me know what you think!




1 comment:

Keli said...

I've been looking for a good book. I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy, and honestly I feel a little dumbed down by them all. I love historical fiction, so maybe I'll give this a try!