Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hi-jinks in the basement!

I am here in Virginia - enjoying some respite from the heat and humidity by hunkering down in the basement with the kidlets. (Actually, the heat has been quite bearable - the mornings are gray and overcast - kind of like June Gloom in LA but without the chill.)


Theo and Ida are a playful duo. Right now they are playing "school." I remember playing school - I'm sure it's a universal kind of phenomenon. We played "church" too - made our own flanneboards - my dream was to be standing in front of a group telling a flannel board story!


I am enjoying the routine of repeating tasks like breakfast, brushing teeth, getting dressed, cleaning up, making messes and more cleaning up!! There is comfort in routine, a feeling that "all's right with the world" to quote Robert Browning.


I need to feel that way about the daily routine at school - somehow it's not quite as comforting - feels more "tedious." (Maybe because I don't ultimately see the resulting growth, as the kids move on to other teachers and other schools.)


Time for me to get dressed and get on with the day's routine!!

2 comments:

Tom Frederickson said...

We used to play "store" in the pantry.

Tom Frederickson said...

That was from Leslie