Sunday, October 02, 2011

Another "good read" you might want to add to your list!


My book group is reading this story for October. A friend recommended it - said, "I got it at the grocery store!"

It's the story of a young midwife who wants to become a surgeon - and no medical school will admit her - because she is woman. So she goes to Washington, D.C. and begins nursing in the hospitals that have been set up there at the beginning of the Civil War. The story mainly focuses on the capital city - and I had not realized how involved D.C. and Northern Virginia were in the initial stages of the war.

The plot has some weak elements, and some of the characterizations are inadequately sketched, but overall it's a good read - let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Bonnie Card said...

I really enjoyed it and thought it was well written.