Friday, July 13, 2012

Long, long ago!!

Margie, Sharen, Kristen
 
 
I am slogging ahead with my photo sorting - actually making progress.  In the midst of my sorting, I came across some junior high photos - and started sharing them with a group of friends I have known since kindergarten.  The above three girls - Margie, Sharene, and Kristen - were friends I met in junior high.  Kristen was also in my ward.  The way they are dressed is just the way we dressed on cold California days - the head scarves especially are my fave!!  (I had a little wardrobe of head scarves even!!)

My friends and I from kindergarten have a semi-Round Robin email letter going - and the photos I post - so far the others don't have any posted yet - elicit long-forgotten times, names, and places.  Laurie, one of the girls, said, after I had posted several school photos, "Well, if I'd passed them in Trader Joe's and they looked like that, I would have recognized them!!"  It's funny how when we know the name, and see a photo, it all comes back.  But if we just saw them now, without a name, we wouldn't necessarily know them.  Names do help, even without photos.

As we were chatting, Carol pops up with a college website in Oregon and says, "Is this our Bobby?"  And I went to the site - and Bobby had not changed much - his red hair was just white!!  So we all emailed him - and he's probably wondering about these crazy women, but wrote back that he'd send an autobiography!!

This prompted the recommendation from me that we plan a reunion - in January it will have been 50 years since we all graduated from Granada Hills High School.  27 years ago we had an informal reunion at Carol's house in Thousand Oaks - time for another one - but none of us have kept track of anyone except each other - other than the aforementioned Bobby!!

Everyone says "Oh, you can find anyone on the Internet."  But I don't think that's totally true.  And most of the sites we did find cost money to join - and they are sneaky - they have you register, but don't tell you the cost!!  You have to be pretty savvy.  We did find one for GHHS that had a "Memorial Wall" so we at least have an idea of some of those who have died - and there were at least a dozen we've found so far.  Sad because our class only had 90 kids in it!

 The aforementioned "Bobby" at the 9th grade dance.
 
Anyway, we will not be deterred - and if you have any suggestions, send them along.  The reunion 27 years ago was facilitated by a former classmate who was in the LAPD - he just tapped into the DMV files for us!!  But he's retired - and we think we've found him on a site - but to get more info - right, you got it - we have to pay - and who knows if they really have any info??

No comments: