Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A very gripping tale!!


This book was chosen by my book group for this month.  Dad had linked my iPad to his Kindle so that we could both read the same books - this was our maiden voyage into the shared book territory!!  It was actually pretty fun to be reading the same book at the same time!!

And a very good book it is.  If you read Seabiscuit, also by Laura Hillenbrand, then you know that she has a way with real stories - she tells them like a novel - and they are gripping and compelling - we both had some late nights as we sat up reading into the wee hours.

It's the story of Louie Zamperini - an Olympian who was captured by the Japanesse during World War II.  His plane crashed and he and his two companions were adrift in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for over 47 days - often surrounded by sharks.  If it hadn't been a true story, we might have believed that it couldn't possibly be true.

Don't let me spoil it - just give it a read - you'll be glad you did.

And let me know what you think!!

3 comments:

tipi tai said...

Louis Zamperini was imprisoned on Kwajalein during the war. He came and spoke to my high school when I was 16 - very inspiring story.

grannybabs said...

Harry and I were pretty excited when we came to the references to Kwajalein - except of course for the terrible things that happened - certainly not the fault of the island itself. Harry's uncle, who was captured by the Japanese during the war, used to refer to Kwajalein too. And who would know that we would eventually know someone who knew the island so well??

Janelle said...

LOVED this book. So glad I read it when I was sick so that I could have an excuse to not put it down! We read it for a book club I'm apart of and it was a hands down favorite. I even got my sisters and dad to read it--definitely an inspiring story. Love the message conveyed at the end--and really, throughout the whole thing.