Tuesday, October 09, 2012

The Giver quartet


I for one was not aware that there was a "Giver Quartet."  Someone mentioned it in the lunchroom at school I think, and said that the third book was Messenger, which I wrote about previously.  The second book is Gathering Blue - which I re-read recently too.  So before the final book in the quartet arrived, I re-read The Giver.

That said, the whole set is a really great read.  If you are a fan of The Giver, I suggest you re-read it - otherwise you might get confused.  And read them all in order.  I am quite impressed with Lois Lowry.  She writes on a broad range of topics and does a good job of writing not only readable prose, but enlightening and well-crafted prose.

Any details would spoil the plot - take my word for it - if you are a fan, you need to read Son.  If it's been awhile since you've read them, you need to re-read them.

And then let me know what you think!!

6 comments:

Phoebe said...

The giver is on the list of required reading this year for Henry so I was thinking about re-reading them. Now I am even more motivated!

grannybabs said...

You will love the whole series. And so will Henry!!

Karen said...

I just read the messenger this past summer. Read the Giver and Gathering Blue sometime in the past. Maybe I will give them a quick reread before going on to the last one.
Thanks for the heads up!

Alice said...

I have read the Giver multiple times but never the sequels. I will need to order them as there is no library in Kabul.

traci said...

You gave me my first copy of THE GIVER when I was a teenager. I loved it. I read the others a few years ago. Now it looks like I'll need to reread them all again. Yeah!

grannybabs said...

Traci - Son just got published the first of October, so I don't think you've read it - but I'm sure you will love it.