Sunday, September 01, 2013

If there's a photograph, it happened!


Years ago when I went to scrapbooking classes, I was amazed at the way so many women totally documented every week of their pregnancies!  And as years have gone by, it's almost a business to have every step of the way of every pregnancy completely covered!!  

I have never been good at consistent documentation - mine goes in fits and starts.  

A few years back I thought I'd try to see if I had a photo of me pregnant with each of our children - and I came up short with no shot of me pregnant with Harry!!

Until we digitized all those slides!  Bingo - a shot of me pregnant with Harry.  So I thought, well, now I can "document" the fact that I was, indeed, pregnant with each one of my kids!!

The above is a shot of me pregnant with Bonny.  It was all new and exciting and Harry had a new camera, so there are actually a least a half dozen shots.  I know, paltry by today's standards.  (and for all I know, everyone but me has always documented well!!)
 

This is the long-lost shot of being pregnant with Harry - in the backyard at "Butterfield Arms" where we lived.  That's Bonny in the Peruvian cap and turquoise crocheted poncho - it is 1972 after all!!  The red quilted robe is one my mother made for me when we got married - I loved that robe - and literally wore it out!!


As excited as were to finally be having another child, there are only one or two shots of me pregnant with Phoebe - and this is the only one I could find - at Mary's wedding in May of 1977.  I was 5 months pregnant and still pretty thin - although I made up for it in the last couple of months - maybe that's why I didn't have anyone take pictures!!
 
 Here I am pregnant with Eliza - that is Uncle Jack, Grandma Terrill's brother, and his wife Mickie.  We are at the farewell open house when Pop and Helen went on their mission.


Pregnant with Hannah - Dad and I took off for a weekend away - went to Lake Arrowhead.
 

This is the only photo of me pregnant with Noah.  I must have been too busy to think about taking pictures of myself!!

As I was browsing through photos, I realized that I don't have photos of myself with each of the children as newborns.  I have plenty of photos of the baby - but not me.  And that is probably just as well - the ones I do have are not all that flattering.  Honest, but not flattering!!

Another thought that came to me is that my mother has had 12 children - and there is not one single photo I have found of her pregnant!!  Maybe women eschewed that idea then!  

Even sadder, my dad, the father of those 12 children, never saw one of them born - he was always sent out to the waiting room.  And my mother, actually, was not awake for any births until the last one!

My how times have changed!  For the better I might add!


No comments: