Thursday, May 18, 2023

May and Birthdays!


 My birthday is in May. My mother's birthday is in May. I have a son born in May, a daughter-in-law born in May, a great grandson born in May. I also have quite a few nieces and nephews born in May. And three grandsons and one granddaughter. And a host of friends who call May their birth month.

I didn't think much about it as a kid. Your birthday is your birthday. But then you have a child born in a particular month and that starts dictating other facets of your life. It's easier to have a birthday party in some months rather than other months. I have a nephew born less than a week before Christmas, so his mother started celebrating his birthday in the middle of July - called it a half-birthday - and the kids who came certainly didn't care.

All families and cultures don't celebrate birthdays - and I have become aware of that over the years. I had a friend whose birthday had always been a very big deal. Her husband came from a family where birthdays were hardly noted. It created conflict. I advised her to just celebrate herself - and we'd help her so she didn't have to get upset every year.

I grew up in a large family - and was one of the older children. There were years when my mom barely remembered - she could usually get a cake made - but not always. She did start a tradition of not having to do your chores on your birthday - and frankly I thought that was better than a present.

I try to remember birthdays. I send lots of cards. I have a perpetual birthday calendar. But as I get older, I start thinking that I won't always be able to do this. And wonder how I should taper off. 

 If you usually get a birthday card from me, you'll know when that happens!


No comments: