Monday, May 22, 2006

The Birthday Saga continues -




So, on the eve of turning 61, I am reflecting - mainly because the house is quiet and empty - Porter is asleep in his crib and the rest of the folks are celebrating at the Dodger Game - Monrovia Ward Family Home Evening Style! I volunteered for the babysitting duties.

Was looking for a specific birthday photo of me and Roseann - we share a birth day and a birth year. I have found other co-holders over the years, but none on the same day.

So I was trying to think what the first birthday was that I remembered. I think it's my 8th birthday. My friend Barbara Britten had died in March, and her mother came to my party - I don't remember ever having another birthday party as a child - but she came and brought me a set of "days of the week" underpants - that I thought were the height of luxury. She often came and talked to my mom in the months following her daughter's death from an aneurism - which no one knew about until she died suddenly. I know my mom talked to her about the plan of salvation.

What I mostly remember about birthdays as a child at home is that you didn't have to do your chores on that day, my mom washed and curled your hair for school (unheard of otherwise - hair was washed once a week on Saturday night), and you got to choose what we would have for dinner.

I also remember for a few years, my Grandma Stevens would bring out two gifts on Alice's birthday in April (Alice' s is the 26th and Grandma's was the 25th - "might as well have been a month off" she used to say!!) Whatever Alice got, I got too - but in a different color - I got a blue dress to Alice's pink one, for example. I also remember red and green lunch boxes and red and green umbrellas, but I don't know who got what color.

One year, when I turned 18, my mom made me a pink and white flowered shift with a matching jacket - I thought I was the queen of fashion in that. That was often a birthday tradition - to go choose material and Mom made you a dress.

In fact, the year before that, I got invited to prom - wasn't too excited because the date wasn't too exciting. Everyone else was excited too, so I had to use my birthday "choice" for a prom dress that Mom and Alice made. And when we went out to eat after the prom, I spilled gravy down the front!! When it got dry cleaned, the satin went limp!! When I went away to college, Alice made me a shorter dress to wear with the lace jacket that went with the prom dress.

So here are the pictures of prom dresses, and Roseann and I in 1968 on our 23rd birthdays on the 23rd! (The short blue dress is from BYU Preference in 1964, the prom is May 19, 1962 - Mom's b-day - I didn't remember that fact!)

4 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

mom, the expression on your face is priceless. almost, what am i doing here?

i love the short dress. actually i really like the long one too, i'm just not too partial to long dresses.


happy birthday dear mother o' mine

Eliza said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!

Love the pictures and the dresses and the expressions.

Karen said...

I agree about the expression on your face! I like both of the dresses.
Happy Day!

grannybabs said...

I've always wondered about that expression - maybe I was not clear about what the photographer wanted me to do!! Or he caught me with a bewildered expression on my face. The guy I was with was a good friend, so I certainly wasn't nervous!!