Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day - then and now!




I have fun every year explaining how May Day used to be to my students. And I remember Pheobe and the girls across the street liked to make baskets to fill with flowers and put them on the neighbor's porches and ring the bell and run!

When I was a kid, we had maypoles and in elementary school we always had a carnival on May Day. I have fond memories of May 1st! I've always carried a little grudge against Dwight David Eisenhower for abolishing the celebration of May Day in the U.S.

It's liable to become one of those "lost cultural oddities" that only the old-timers know about!!

These are some Patrick Henry Jr. high 8th and 9th grade photos of May Day and me!

Happy May Day one and all!!

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I think Beverly Clearly books might be where I learned about May Day. Either that or the B Is for Betsy books.

Cute dress.

bonny with a Y said...

i learned about it in the all of a kind family books, and of course, B-T.

Phoebe said...

They did it at Henry's school on Monday and he took his May Basket over to the new neighbors and loved running and hiding. It was fun to share the tradition with him.

grannybabs said...

I'm happy to hear that the tradition lives on!! Way to go Henry!!

The Mom said...

I loved May Day when I was growing up May Poll Dance, May Flower baskets it was fun