Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Young Women Leaders of Yore


This is a group photo taken at my mom and dad's 50th anniversary party in August of 1990. Bonny, Phoebe, Eliza and I are joined by my Laurel advisor - in the green striped dress - and her daughter. I remember Sister L. very well - she always sent me little notes in the mail - it's where I got the idea that it was cool to send notes - because I loved the ones she sent me - I still have some of them.

I also remember that she always told us that that we'd better have clean underwear every day - "you might get in an accident and get taken to the hospital and it would be embarrassing to not have clean underwear on!" she would say!!

She only died a few years ago - I always enjoyed seeing her when I visited. She had a less active or non-member husband and a mentally challenged son - but she persevered. She was a great example to me. And I loved her - because I knew she loved me.

3 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

hooray for excellent young women leaders (aren't you glad i didn't say young womens?). It is a lot of work to be in YW - I'm sure I'll be back when my girls come of age.

Phoebe said...

I keep avoiding the YW calling. I feel like I served my time and now I think I get a break for a few years. Maybe someday I'll actually be in the Primary for more than a year.

Eliza said...

I loved being in YW, although it was only for a year. And okay, it didn't take me too long to adjust to no Mutual activities after I got released! But I did love the girls (still do). Hooray for 12-year-old Sunday School--I still get to work with cute girls each week, and NO weeknight activities!