Friday, July 27, 2007

The Adventures of GrannyBabs in Oregon - in pretty random order I might add!

Sheri Mac Dowell, who used to live in Monrovia (Phoebe taught her kids swimming and she used to babysit for them), lives down the street from Phoebe. We enjoyed visiting and "catching up!"

The Monday night before Agnes's birth was David's company party at an amusment park - Henry loved the rides!



Calvin was pretty fond of them too - especially the ones he was tall enough to go on!


Phoebe and I pretty much limited ourselves to the train and the carousel - thought this stork was pretty apropos!


Burgerville is Oregon's answer to In 'n Out - the burgers aren't as good, but their fruit in season shakes and lemonades are REALLY good!



Calvin likes their chicken strips.



Agnes had her first bath today. She loved it. And Calvin loves participating.



Henry has taken well to being the big brother who can hold the baby while Mom does something like answer the phone or the door.


I got the afghan done - Phoebe had started it for Calvin - so I pulled it out and did a stitch I knew how to do.


Calvin and Henry got new bubble guns and had a great time with them on the deck.



Phoebe made Agnes a little bracelet.


The gray, rainy days have finally given way to sunshine. The boys and I went swimming tonight while Phoebe and David went to the show to see Harry Potter. Agnes went too.


Most of our evenings consisted of me crocheting or sewing while Phoebe fed Agnes and David walked around with her when she needed burping. We watched whatever Netflix had left that day! (Lots of House episodes!)



I leave tomorrow afternoon. I will miss being here. It is work, but it's not the kind of work that seems never-ending - because it's not at your own house! Laundry and meals are never-ending, but for me they are not - because I'm not always here. And everyone here is very appreciative of my efforts - that always makes it more fun! I think our own children are appreciative of what we do, but it does become routine and we forget to acknowledge what we do for one another - both parents and children.


And I've enjoyed reading the dragon stories of Ruth Giles and Henry Reed's Babysitting Service to the boys at night. I never did chapter books with my kids - I'm not sure why - I always read to them, but they were usually one-sitting picture books and when they got to chapter books, they read them on their own.


We will be back in a few weeks for the Hood to Coast Relay that Dad will participate in and Agnes will be blessed that weekend too, so I'm looking forward to that.


And after I'm home for 2 days, it will feel like I never left!



5 comments:

Eliza said...

Nice pictures!

Phoebe's patio is so cute--and inspiring. Just this morning I was looking out at my sad excuse for a balcony and I decided that I've had enough, I'm just going to go buy flowers and furniture, because I've been talking about it since April and never have done it! I go out on the balcony most days, but have nothing to sit on. Lately I've been saying, "Well, the summer's almost over, guess I'll wait until next year." But then I realized, there's still plenty of warm weather left. My blinds are open all day long, I might as well have something nice to look at! And something to sit on when Theo and the little girls I babysit go out and play out there.

Any ideas for good mostly-shade plants that don't fail in muggy heat? We get some sunlight in the morning but that's about it. We're east-facing with lots of trees.

Also I need to think of something to block off the bottom of the railing. The space between the railing and the concrete floor is big enough that Theo could get stuck there when he starts crawling (and we are on the second floor, so that would be very bad news).

Eliza said...

I guess I could also e-mail or call Phoebe.

Or just ask the guys at Lowe's or Home Depot...not that they're ever very helpful at all.

grannybabs said...

The tags on plants very specifically tell you where they grow best. And maybe planter along the bottom could block the spaces. Or wire mesh.

Eliza said...

Yeah, I know about the tags--but still I like to talk to a person.

You know?

Especially when plants aren't organized at the store by where they grow best...and there are lots of plants to go through.

Never fear, I went and got some plants and we will see if they survive under my black thumb!

Phoebe said...

The red one is a begonia that I got at Trader Joe's. It has done the best. Also fushia do well in shade, as well as impatiens.
the trick is moderate watering, esp. where it is more humid, like here.
And chicken wire works well for the balconey. That's what our neighbor used.