Sunday, July 22, 2007

Random Thoughts

I was thinking about how it's so green and wet and cool here - odd even for this area in July - but I am enjoying it.

The problem is, it's normal for these folks to have gray, rainy days. It's not normal for me. I feel like we should be "seizing the day" and curling up with a book - like Harry Potter! They (the locals) just go on like usual!

And speaking of Harry Potter, the UPS man delivered my copy yesterday just before noon - just like they promised!! I love the packaging when they deliver Harry Potter -"Attention Muggles: do not deliver before July 21st!"

Can you believe it ? - I'm saving it for the plane ride home. Mainly because I brought a book up to Phoebe for her book group in August - and started reading it last week and it's really good, so I need to finish it before I can start Harry Potter. (It's called The Glass Castle - a memoir that is pretty fascinating - truth is indeed stranger than fiction!)

And I also thought that the world is full of Harry's for me - my husband, my son, my grandson, my uncle, my father-in-law, my own grandfather - and since the advent of Prince Harry and Harry Potter, no one thinks Harry is such a strange name.

(When I first met my Harry - officially anyway - I knew I had danced with him the night before at the Y Center Grand Opening - but couldn't remember his name. So I coyly pulled his ID card out of his pocket - and saw that it said "Harry Porter" and figured, well, he must have a nickname. No one was named Harry except old people like my Grandpa Stevens, Harry Truman and my Uncle Harry! Imagine my surprise when every one who passed by and knew him said "Hi Harry!")

Harry is a fine name! And don't tell me if Harry dies!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

I'm the same way. Rain is scanty enough here (although it's actually more plentiful in the summer than I expected) that when it's rainy, I automatically go into good-book-by-the-fire mode. Hot chocolate, anyone?

(Although when it rains here, it is still hot outside.)