Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Saga of the Sewing Machine


It's a long story, folks, but I think I'm going to tell it anyway!

About 35 years ago, I bought a Viking Sewing Machine - I had a machine that my mom had given me as a wedding gift, but it was a cheaper model - perfect for the beginner I was at the time. I was ready for the bigtime however!

So I made payments on this great Viking - that I quickly outgrew as my sewing skills improved and expanded. Then I bought a really deluxe model Viking that "did everything" except the dishes.

I sewed up a storm on that machine - if it could talk, would it have tales to tell. After about 15 years though, it seemed to be showing its age. When I took it in - we were in California by then - it was going to cost nearly $300 to repair it. But the guy said it was worth it. I waffled - so he offered me a used machine in the store - which was much "newer" and a Viking - and repair of my old machine for a great combo price. (The newer Viking was computerized too.)

So I fell for it - and for many years felt I had gotten the good end of the deal. Two machines came in handy when we did sewing classes with the Young Women or when Phoebe, Eliza or Hannah wanted to venture into the needlewoman's path. Or when wedding or prom or baby sewing took up the dining room at Grandma Clayton's.

Chinks in the armor or holes in the dike, if you will, began appearing. More and more frequently I needed to take my "newer" machine into the shop. And I didn't sew all that often, so I didn't think about it all the time.

Then last summer, they had my machine for over 6 months!! It needed a new circuit board, the machine was no longer being made so they had to find a "reconditioned" circuit board, and then they sent an incomplete one so it had to be sent back!! I had their phone number memorized!

Finally got it back last fall - and two months later it went dead, no power, zip, nada! I took it in and they guy said it was a fuse and charged me $15.

So I've been sewing aprons nearly non-stop it seems - and yesterday I planned to finally get one made for my mom - and I sat down ready to work - and whoa, a dead machine again!

It was a holiday - I was fried! I thought of going to the church and borrowing the ward Bernina - but I don't have keys to our building anymore, and Harry was at work!

I ranted to the walls - and then went for the Yellow Pages! I found a sewing shop in Altadena that has been around since 1938 - why I haven't found it before I'll never know - I've hit all the other ones in the San Gabriel Valley. And the guy answered - on a holiday no less!

I said, "Are you open?" And he said, "For awhile."

So I hustled over there - and he said, "This machine doesn't use a fuse." First clue that maybe I had been dealing with the wrong people. Then he said, "I will have to take it apart to find out what's wrong." So I said, "What do you have for sale?"

And the rest, as they say, is history! I no longer have a Viking - except for my old, wonderful, workhorse Viking from 35 years ago that Phoebe is currently using - but instead have a new mid-line Riccar. It's not computerized - you turn dials and levers to make it work - and it works great - I made two more aprons yesterday - you may all get yours eventually - if you want one that is.

Turns out Viking no longer really makes Vikings - the company that makes Elnas and Necchis and many other names makes Vikings now. And my blue Viking was the first year of computerized Vikings - the guinea pig I guess.

Riccar makes their own - that sold me on the concept.

I am a happy seamstress these days!!

Thanks for listening.

13 comments:

Eliza said...

Oh, that would be so annoying! But I am glad that you got a new one that works.

I need to take mine in to get oiled. It works great, by the way, granted it has only been 3 years and is not computerized but it does the trick for me.

grannybabs said...

You should probably have them show you how to oil it yourself. Alice always said, "Oil your machine when it starts sounding like a threshing machine!" (But I was never sure what a threshing machine sounded like!)

Phoebe said...

I need to take the Viking in to get serviced. Maybe I'll do that when you are here!
So the question is...Are you going to contact the old machine shop and let them know that you are on to their little scheme?

Karen said...

I remember you having a viking. Probably your older one. I thought it was pretty neat. I've used the same machine I got as a high school graduation gift all these years. It has pretty basic features, but does the job. I sometimes wonder about getting a new machine.

grannybabs said...

If you get a new one, don't get a computerized one - they are expensive and complicated to fix. And if your old machine "does the job" it's always good to remember, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

But I really do like my new machine - it runs smoothly and does have decorative stitches and does a one-step buttonhole!

Heather said...

I think I might need a new one but I'm not sure I can justify it till it totally stops. Are you offering an apron? I have been watching you post and I love them,they are so cute!

grannybabs said...

I am slowly giving aprons to those who express an interest - the emphasis is on slowly - for example I just gave one to my mom last week!!

But I enjoy making them, so good things come to those who wait!

D. Scott said...

Hey I want on the apron list!

D. Scott said...

Teach me for not reading all of the blogs before I comment.
I was thinking temple aprons. But even so...

bonny with a Y said...

this is making want to get a new machine.

grannybabs said...

If I ever venture into masculine aprons, Scott, you will be on the list - right up there at the top!

Eliza said...

I was actually just reading the instruction pamphlet about how to oil it myself. Perhaps I will give it a try.

It's kinda not the easiest instruction pamphlet to follow. It's very poorly worded. I have noticed that every time I refer to it. But I am persistent! Maybe I should rewrite it myself.

Anyway.

Macmoma said...

GOOD NIGHT NURSE!!!!! i have been trying to find a place to comment for half an hour now! i am not THAT blog challenged!

Anyway Barbara, I have read little snippets here and there of your blog, and of course it makes for a great read. I am not sure when or if you will read this since the "Saga" was first posted in July.

Two things: one, some of the books that you have and are going to read look interesting. I am into non-fiction these days, but not a thousand pager, any good recommendations? two, i saw a mini Janome sewing machine at Target for $100.00, one of my machines is a Janome, and it is a decent machine - it probably will work fine for about 10-15 years, I am even tempted to try it!