Sunday, June 01, 2008

"What's that you're reading?"

So, Clifton Middle School adopted a "Study Hall" in February. We took 5 minutes from every class period and the previously designated "Sustained Silent Reading" minutes and combined them into a 40 minute Study Hall at the end of each regular class day. (Wednesdays are minimum days, so we don't have it then.)

The motivation for this was the disturbing news that almost 20% of our students were below a 2.0 gpa. We have lots of interventions in place - after school tutoring, study skills classes for struggling students, special counseling sessions to address issues surrounding poor academic progress, remedial classes in math and language arts and regular meetings with parents to update them on what is happening.

We can only do so much - ultimately it is up to the student and their parents to turn things around - but we have to do something. So we started this program. It was the principal's idea - not every teacher was in favor - but it has been used successfully in other places, so she wanted to at least try it.

The way it works is every teacher gets 25 kids - alphabetical by grade level - and those same students will stay with the same teacher for all three years. Students are graded daily on having their reading log correctly filled out, having their Binder Reminder (a planner that each student is required to have) listing all of their assignments, and circling the assignment they plan to work on that day.

Since I teach RSP students all day long, it was certainly different to have a room full of regular ed students - many of whom are also honors students. It was also different to have 25 kids - my biggest class has 12 students in it! Because I usually teach such small classes, my room couldn't accommodate 25 kids - so my aide has half of them in the room next door.

On Friday, it was the Clifton Mile Run for 8th graders. Arvin W. has left Clifton so the Clifton Mile as the Terrill kids remember it is different. For one thing, it's run during the Study Hall period. (The period is also used for assemblies and other events that might disrupt the academic day - which is a plus - any teacher will tell you how disruptive it is to have your classes chopped up by an "assembly schedule.") For another, it's run by grade level on different days.

We had the option of going to the run and sitting on the field while the kids who had signed up ran. It was my day to work in the temple on Friday, and I leave from work so I had to be a little more "dressed up" than usual. Sitting on the field in a dress and pantyhose didn't appeal to me. I also had a significant amount of work to do before the end of the day and had planned to do it during Study Hall (the group I have is good about working independently, so a little bonus for me has been the ability to get work done on the computer during that time.)

The aide next door offered to take the whole group - which was not very large, since about 8 of the kids were running. I offered to stay with those who didn't want to go.

I bustled around getting my classroom ready for Monday morning, and then typed up the pages for the 2 IEP meetings I have on Monday. The 4 girls who had opted to stay sat quietly in their chairs - reading!! I decided to walk around and see what they were reading.

The results - Twilight, The Host - both by Stephanie Meyer, a book called Feast of Fools and I don't remember the author, and the 4th girl was reading her History text book. (apparently Feast is about vampires too though.)

The last few minutes of the period I asked them how they were enjoying the books they were reading. The two Stephanie Meyer girls said they were "loving " the books. I told them I had read Twilight but didn't think it was very well written. Since I never want to discourage reading, I suggested that it all depends on whether you are reading for pleasure or want to identify something as good literature.

We had an interesting discussion. I told them about The Historian and suggested that if they enjoyed the vampire concept, they might enjoy this long, but well-written and critically received novel even more.

I also told them that I had graduated in English from BYU - just like Stephanie Meyer. One girl said, "Then you could write a book." (That would be a whole other post - how often we say, "I could write a better book than that" but we don't! Writing is work - hard work - and even poorly written novels take time and effort.)

But what a treat to discuss books with 4 lovely young ladies. I love my students, but by and large they struggle with reading. And even if they read well, many of them don't like to read - it represents all things difficult to them and they don't like to "go there."

Just letting you know how things are on the literary scene in my little corner of the world. I don't ever recall a teacher talking to me about books he or she had read - do you?

7 comments:

Alice said...

I have read all three of the books that your students were reading with the exception of the history textbook. I fully agree with you. The Historian was by and larger the better written of those books and I enjoyed it much more. However, I enjoyed The Host much more than the Twilight series. The story was more compelling and had a lot more to say than the other series. I do not like it when authors seem to milk their ideas and turn them into way too many books. Case in point, Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time. I quit reading them because he was manipulating his audience. Then he went and died and the series will probably never be finished. I am sorry that he died but he could have ended his series 3 books ago. He did dicate the outline of the 12th (see how many he had written) to his wife who says that she will write it. It is great to discuss books. Right now I am reading the Ender series. Light, SciFi. I have a couple of serious books that just need the right frame of mind to begin. I did read a good book about Crystal Cove Beach and the history of it and the cottages that were built there in the early part of the 20th century. The beach is now a California State Park and I am excited to go and look at it. There are only 17 cottages that have been restored so it is hard to get a reservation. The beach house from Beaches is one of the cottages built there. However, that house is now going to be a Marine Biology Center. Sorry about such a long post.

grannybabs said...

Long comments are great - why post anything if no one says anything about it!!

Did a teacher ever recommend a book to you?

Diane said...

I can remember my 7th grde history teacher, Mrs. Grayson, recommending 'The Hiding Place' by Corrie ten Boom. I still have that origional copy, somewhat yellowed but worn and much loved. I pretty much idolized her so I am sure I would have read anything that she recommended. Thankfully she was a woman of substance and I always think of her every few years when I read that book.

grannybabs said...

I did a Holocaust unit with one of my classes and had hoped to be able to include that - but we ran out of time.

Do you know if they ever made a film of it?

bonny with a Y said...

i don't remember a teacher ever recommending a book to me - but i do remember mrs davies giving me martha's secret wish from the class library - i think i was only one who had read it - and i read it 4 times that year.

and i think a study hall is a great idea - they have an after school homework club that is an option in our school - and they also have jr great books - which i love - because it's like a book club for the 4th and 5th graders.

and i think it is great that you discuss books with your students - it's always fun to discuss books.

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

Diane said...
Yes, I am fairly certain that there is a movie of it and it is suppose to be excellent, I have heard.

Does anyone know the book 'Snow Treasure'? I can't remember the author right now but I loved it as a child. I remember it as being one of those that you just couldn't put down. I read it to my 5th graders one year and it kept everyone's attention. A true story.

(I just had to re-do this comment as I can not seem to type correctly and the misspellings were bugging me!)