Monday, June 16, 2008

When you have to do list a mile long, it must be time to blog!!


When I have lots to do, I tend to do extraneous stuff that really doesn't need to be done - like blogging!! (And you all know what I should be working on these days - although in my defense, much of the wedding stuff can't be done until right before.)

But while getting the house ready for the flood of visitors to arrive, I have been putting over the door hangers on all available doors - to keep stuff up and out of the way - and to keep my stuff that's usually in the room where Theo is sleeping more accessible!! (As in during nap times!)


As you can - or maybe you can't - imagine, it's driving Dad nuts - but he's wisely not saying anything!! It's not like he's not used to it!! I've been an over the door hanger person my whole life I think!

When we were first married, I don't think they had BED,BATH and BEYOND or over the door hangers, so I used to hang stuff up in doorways or on window-curtain rods. That really drove him nuts.


One time I came home and he'd taken all his shirts out of the closet and hung them all over the house - a kind of in-your-face statement about what he thought about my proclivity for using odd places to hang clothes!! To my credit - and his - it turned out to be a great joke and we laughed about it - together!!

But I come by all this honestly. And I have been thinking about it while stashing stuff all over the place in preparation for the descending hordes!!

When I was a young girl growing up, we lived in a small, converted garage - while my dad built the "big house" next door. When he started, it was going to take 6 months. And it ended up taking 6 or more years!

I don't remember feeling deprived at all - there were two bedrooms - one for the girls and one for the boys - my folks slept on a hide-a-bed in the living room. I actually remember sleeping on an overstuffed chair in the living room - I remember hearing a rooster crow in the morning. I must have been 5 or so. It wasn't uncomfortable - it was a big chair - and I was a small girl!

The house had one closet - which was quickly overwhelmed by the needs of the eventually 10 people who lived in the house before the "big house" was done. And so clothes were hung on curtain rods at the windows - and soon the curtains disappeared and the clothes provided all the privacy we needed.

So why should I think it odd - or even not sensible - to hang stuff on over the door hangers??

Besides, it adds texture to the decor - and I don't forget what clothes I have and keep wearing the same ones.

And I have options when I forget to take stuff out of the room before Theo goes down for his nap!

7 comments:

hanner said...

I don't know what all this talk about "not being able to do it till right before" is, because if you are looking for wedding things to do then I have a list for you!

grannybabs said...

Well, I was referring to decorating and fixing food - but we are into the program and the photo display so check those off!

bonny with a Y said...

i guess it's nice to know the reason behind the tradition.

grannybabs said...

You guess???

Maybe you have to be a Clayton to understand!!

Alice said...

I do the same and it drives Dale nuts as well. Especially when I am ironing and waiting to iron. I don't remember as much as you do about the old house but I do remember having many people in there and trying to find places for everything. One good thing was that we DIDN'T have much. I sometimes think what I would have done in the same situation. Maddy and Hester and Hannah each had about 12-15 boxes of things when they left home to go to school. Most of it was stored. I guess there are advantages to not having lots of STUFF. It makes a lot of sense actually.

bonny with a Y said...

i mean "i guess" because i'm more with the dad and dale way of thinking.

although i do have way too much stuff.

my goal this summer is to throw away half my house.

Unknown said...

"...over the door hangers...add texture to the decor..." It's that kind of stuff that I miss about hanging (oops no pun intended) around with you my friend :) Looking forward to seeing you and family at the reception.