Sunday, October 19, 2008

Granny Babs and Grandpa Bob


When I see photos like this - of one of my lovely daughters - I am reminded of the years and their swift passing.

When you are visiting the family and helping after the birth of a new baby, you see so much that reminds you of the years gone by. A look, a turn of a phrase, a story, habits and patterns that are so familiar. (Hester said, "You cook like my mom.")


You play "Tom Thumper, Bill Munker. . . " with a darling grandson and remember doing it with his mom!


You never forget the wonderful newborn smell and the feel of a flannel receiving blanket.


Even the tears bring back memories of nights and days with your own crying children. And you are sorry you were ever impatient. (That memory enables me to be much more patient with my grandchildren, so I guess it has served a good purpose!)

I'm not sure where Harry picked up the Grandpa Bob moniker. My nephew Joey used to call my mom and dad "Bob and Mary" - probably because he heard them call each other that while they lived next door to them many years ago. And then others started calling them Grandpa Bob and Grandma Mary. But that may have nothing to do with his current role as Grandpa Bob when the grandkids come to the house.

I mention it because the only way this would be better - being here to welcome lovely Ida to the world - would be if Harry was here - to play Grandpa Bob for Theo.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

Maybe next time!