Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Musings


It certainly doesn't feel like Halloween around here. For one thing, it's way too hot. For another thing, I barely got the decorations out of the shop and put them up. Also, for the 2nd or 3rd year in a row, we have not carved pumpkins here at 428. And finally, no one is pestering me to make a costume or go shopping to hunt for costume fixings. (Actually no one has asked me to do that for many years - but I just thought of it.)

But this has always been one of my favorite Halloween photos - and it encompasses all of the above - it was chilly that long ago Sunday evening, the decorations were plentiful and had been up since October 1st, the pumpkins were carved, and even though I didn't have to do much sewing that year, we did get white makeup for the occasion.

For the uninformed, Halloween was on a Sunday that year . I really don't remember all the other Halloween Sundays, but Dad was the Bishop and we decided that we shouldn't go trick or treating on Sunday. But we would serve trick or treaters who came to our door.

And Eliza, Hannah and Noah seemed to have a better time than they did when they did the trick or treating themselves. They tried to be scary and entertaining and really put on a good show.

It's a great memory - one I treasure.


1 comment:

Diane said...

I remember the Sunday trick-or-treat debates. Good learning moments, I recall.

It is also to hot here to feel like Halloween. I don't have any candy purchased yet, maybe that will help!