Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Things happen when you start cleaning out the garage!!


Getting ready for Phoebe and David's visit meant restoring some order to the room in the garage. While doing so, Dad and I both came across some forgotten treasures. Dad found his grandfather's pipes and solid ivory napkin ring. I found my Grenoble scrapbook. And we found a heretofore forgotten Pritchard print from 14 years ago!! We are remembering that Nebekers sent it to us - and it was oversized for the folder where I keep all the others, so I'd filed it in a portfolio of artwork belonging to Hannah and Eliza. I took it to Aaron Bros. today for matting and framing - watch for the great unveiling!

I also found the tape of Eliza reading Lion for Lewis!! I need to figure out how to post that - it's a real treasure!!

And the forgotten silhouettes - not only ours, but all the girls from my Young Women years!! I will see about reducing them and scanning them in.

circa 1952


circa 1951


Sometimes I'm in the car when The Writer's Almanac comes on. I love the details Garrison Keillor comes up with - did you know today is Henry David Thoreau's birthday? And that he inadvertently caused a 300 acre fire when camping? Many believe that's why he went to stay and reflect at Walden Pond.

And I love how Mr. Keillor says at the end,

"Be well. Do good work. And keep in touch."

Seems like a worthwhile motto to live by!!

No comments: