Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What a difference a 43 years makes!!


Here I am at the beach in Mexico in 1968. Dad and I had had driven the Jeep truck down - camping along the way. Now I wouldn't think of going camping in Mexico! (Nor would I pose for a photo in a bathing suit!!)

Here I am at Will Roger's State Beach on PCH near Malibu - yesterday in fact!! I sit in the shade, fully clothed - sitting and crocheting. I'm content to be doing so, but I wonder what this says about me??


The years have changed lots of things. What I look like. What I wear. My weight. What I do with my time. What my priorities are. My energy levels. But I'm still wearing dark glasses! I would not change much - maybe I'd like to be thinner and have more energy and be more flexible (I have a friend who says, "I can't touch my toes, but I'm still flexible.") I want to be flexible physically - I'm not sure how or when that skill disappeared!!

I imagine being retired in some charming coastal town - maybe writing a novel. Oh the places our imaginations can take us!

I imagine being on a mission with Harry - not sure what that will be like, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

I imagine being retired and not having to be anywhere at any specific time. Maybe that would get tiresome though.

I imagine not having great kids who have chosen great spouses - that would be sad. They are work and they have used up time and resources over the years - but it was time and resources well-spent! I don't want to imagine a scenario that didn't have grown kids - problems and all!

I imagine - and it's not hard, since I have so many friends who have few or no grandchildren - life without a bevy of beautiful grandkids. Wouldn't want to go there. They can be rambunctious and time consuming and they leave chaos in their wake sometimes - but I love each and every one of them in a special, individual way. And that is a great blessing in my life - one I thank the Lord for each and every day.

Tomorrow we are going out to my mom's to visit and sew and catch up with my sister Leslie, who is visiting. I am so grateful to still have my mother in my life. That is a great and wonderful blessing - another one I thank the Lord for daily. (And I'm grateful for my sisters and brothers too!)

So what's a few pounds or a few wrinkles or a few gray hairs? I'd take today over a bathing-suit-ready body any day!

No comments: