Wednesday, November 02, 2011

"Dia de los Muertos"



I decided to drive over to the cemetery and visit Jonah's grave. Bryan L. had sent some lovely roses, so Dawn put them on the grave. When I drove into Live Oak, there was a long line of cars - I thought maybe I was behind a funeral cortege.

Instead I was in the thick of a gathering of folks ready to celebrate "Dia de los Muertos" or Day of the Dead. It's a Mexican holiday I think, and I'm not clear on all the parameters to the celebrating, but there were groups of people sitting in lawn chairs around gravesites. There were lots of flowers and balloons. It was quite festive. And everyone seemed happy, rather than sad.


I was glad that Jonah had such a lovely bouquet of colorful roses for his little spot.


And that his spot is such a lovely place.

1 comment:

The Hungry Bookworm said...

I was so sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet grandbaby. What a trying and tender time for your famiy...and a tender mercy that you came here on this particular day...there's a wonderful description of this in Animal Dreams (Kingsolver) that has stayed with me for years...thoughts and prayers coming your way...