Friday, February 17, 2012

Another good read from the "Booklettes" reading group!


My book group chose this - after I called Phoebe during our last get-together to get another title from her - one she'd mentioned that I couldn't quite remember. And she said, "Well, why don't you read A Town Like Alice?"

So we all said, "Why not?"

It starts a bit slowly, but gathers steam and is a good read. Apparently it's been made into a film more than once. Maybe I will give that a look-see too.

It's based on a true incident from World War II about some Dutch women who were marched around Malaysia by the Japanese. In the book they are English women who are living and working there when the war breaks out. Also involves a "cowboy" from the Australian outback - who appears to have given his life to save our heroine - but it turns out he's still alive.

I'll let you start there!!

4 comments:

Phoebe said...

I loved A Town Like Alice. Masterpiece Theater did a version of it in the 80's(it's 6 hours long!). It was pretty good. I haven't watched the one that was made in the 50's though.
Glad you liked it.

Bonnie Card said...

I'm almost done with the book. I'm so glad to be a part of a book group that chooses interesting and less popular titles. There are so many readworthy books out there that I would probably never run across on my own. Thanks, Pheobe!!! (and Barbara).

Bonnie Card said...

I'm almost done with the book. I'm so glad to be a part of a book group that chooses interesting and less popular titles. There are so many readworthy books out there that I would probably never run across on my own. Thanks, Pheobe!!! (and Barbara).

Karen said...

I will put this on my list.