Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Take me out to the ballgame . . ."


So Dad and I watched this Saturday night. I think Dad dozed through the first 15 minutes or so. But then he got "engaged" in the story.

It's a compelling film in some respects - sports films that hinge on scoring and results usually are - but it was deficient in ways that are difficult to elucidate.

For starters, I thought some of the acting was sub-par and almost wooden. Maybe "behind the scenes baseball guys" are really like that?

Also, the ending was kind of a downer. And the story of his failed marriage and his personal life was a bit sparse - leaving the viewer to fill in the blanks with possibly wrong answers.

It did have some exciting moments - but I'm glad we watched it at home and didn't pay the big bucks to "go to the show!!"

2 comments:

Eliza said...

I thought the same thing about some of the acting. My guess was that some of the recruiter guys were actual baseball people and NOT real actors. (since it's based on a true story.) I can't imagine such a big-name movie having bad acting otherwise.

Karen said...

Jeff and I watched this. The tobacco spitting drove me nuts. I realize it is probably true to life, but it was so gross to me. It would distract me from the story.

I agree, not a lot of good back story about his life, his failed marriage and daughter.