Sunday, February 19, 2012

Thoughts about baby Jonah


Four months ago today, our sweet baby Jonah returned home to his Father in Heaven. I was asked to give a talk in the Mountain View Ward on seeking guidance from the Lord. So I talked about our family's experience with Jonah, and how we had all needed continual guidance as we navigated the days we had here with him.

The days after have required navigating also. I came across this poem a few weeks ago - I had thought about it but couldn't recall enough details to locate it. I found it somewhat serendipitously - and thought I would share it. It is by Carol Lynn Pearson.

To A Child Gone

I thought I was ahead of you in line.
You would take your turn
After I took mine,
Like we did before.

I guess you don't need new shoes
For starting heaven
Or a light left on against the dark
The way I always did.
But I'm so used to parenting
I wanted just to be there -
To do whatever needed to be done.

But you went first.
And now, my little one,
Suddenly you are my senior.
Morning, I know, will come.
But bring close your light -
This time it is I who fear the night.


1 comment:

Eliza said...

love this, thanks.