Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Getting along every day - day by day!

When I knew that I would be taking care of Harry and Dawn's children while they spent a week in Ireland over spring break, I thought about the best way to prepare. Several thoughts occurred to me: get lots of rest beforehand (ha, ha! I NEVER get enough rest!), clear the calendar of all conflicts, get caught up on Easter gifts and cards, birthday gifts and cards beforehand, stock the larder, keep ahead on the laundry - you follow my drift.

Believe it or not, I actually did most of the above. But a funny thing happened - life goes on, even if you are trying to slow it down or stop it for a week!

Family came to visit - and who wants to miss that? General conference was that weekend - that's one I am going to have to catch up on next week - maybe when Harry 's in Boston. (Although, I had the thought, "I have sat here and watched several years worth of uninterrupted conference sessions - and the one time someone I know gets called to an auxiliary position, I wasn't on board! I found out about it when my girls started texting across the country to see if there was more than one Linda Sheffield Reeves! So I thought I'd sit down at the computer and pull it up on lds.org. And I did. And just as they were going to announce the new presidency, Harry W. hollered from the bathroom "Grandma, I need you to wipe my bum!" With kids, it needs to be late night if you don't want to be interrupted!!)

I ran into people I knew when I was out with the kids - so I should maybe be unfriendly?? I got phone calls about upcoming assignments. I ran out of groceries. I got requests for favors I wanted to do.

Like I said, life just keeps on keeping on - and there does not seem to be a cure for that. And I'm not sure a cure would even be advisable.

So I got a babysitter for each day - to stay with Isla and either Porter or Harry when I take Eve to gymnastics. Isla is sleeping then - and every fiber of my being rebels at waking up a napping child - and I can have some one on one time with either Porter or Harry after we drop off Eve. It's been lovely.

Now Eve wants a slot - and I think we can figure it out.

I may have this all squared away - and then Harry and Dawn will be home again!

Kind of like life.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Life never seems to go like I think it will.

I was happily thinking there was nothing going on tonight, but then got an email telling us there is a special pack meeting/arrow of light ceremony tonight.

Oh well.