Monday, April 22, 2013

BFF - before they had BFF's!!


Today is Marguerite's 68th birthday.  I always remember because she is one month and one day older than me.  When her birthday came, mine was not far behind!!

Marguerite and I were friends from the very start of elementary school.  At the end of junior high, she moved to Chico - I took a bus ride there - by myself - the next year.  I was 14!!  No one would let a 14 year old take such a bus ride today, that's for sure!

She came back for one of the high school years, and then returned to Chico.  She was one of my bridesmaids.  She would write or phone sporadically.  Over the years, we have not often been in contact.  But when we are, the many years of friendship come rushing back.

Once she said to me, "I could call you anytime and tell you I needed you - and you'd help me.  That's what friends are for."  She's right.

I have many good friends.  They seem to go along with different parts of my life.  Some I am still in contact with.  Some have died - and I miss them still.  Some I have no idea where they are.  But good friendship memories don't have to have a current contact!

A favorite memory of mine:  Marguerite came racing up to me one morning in 6th grade.  "I have just read the very best book in the whole world," she said.  "What book is that?" I queried.  "Mrs. Mike," she shot back.

She was right!

Happy Day Marguerite!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a nice friendship.
I enjoyed Mrs Mike also.