Monday, April 29, 2013

My latest read -


Everyone - and I mean, everyone -  seems to be watching Call the Midwife.  I tend to not get into shows until you can watch the episodes all at once - much less frustrating for me.  But then at our book group, it was suggested that we read the book the shows are based on.  (Actually there are at least 3 books that Amazon has available - so they have plenty of material for upcoming episodes - in case you were concerned!)

So that is our May pick.  I promptly got it on Kindle, made the mistake of starting to read it, and of course had to finish it rather quickly.  (I have already got the second book on Kindle but am trying to finish the Ivan Doig book I had already started, since I don't want to get too far behind!)

I haven't watched the show yet, but sense that it will be good.  The book is well-written - it's non-fiction and the author admits that she's looking back on events from a 50 year perspective - but the story it self is compelling, and well-told.

A brief caveat - and it may only pertain to me - but there is one disturbing episode in the book.  The author is telling a true story about a young prostitute named Mary.  The author is not gratuitous or sensational - which may make the telling all that much more horrific - but it was upsetting to me.  Oddly enough it was most upsetting after the fact.  That is, I was caught up in the horror - and when it was over - I felt like I had been broadsided.

Just a little "reader beware" - you may want to skip the part about Mary!  Or consider it one more piece of evidence about the chilling nature of men who use women - and the women who are caught up in this terrible nightmare.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Mary is in the show too. It's awful but sounds like it's more awful in the book.

Amy Girl said...

I second the awful-ness in the show. I am enjoying watching the 2nd season as I iron my way through life. The book intrigues me...I just might have to give it a read.

Barbara, what was the name of the book you were telling me about when we were down south visiting you at Grandma's?

Karen said...

I have tried to get one of the books at the library, sadly they do not have them. I will have to do an inter-library loan. I have watched season one and two online. They are good, but parts are hard. I am a little leery about he newest episode, which I read got a lot of outrage in England when it showed there.

grannybabs said...

The book certainly paints the lowest of the low in British culture - but also praises the good. Maybe it's the way the horrible events are so matter-of-factly noted that makes them seem so awful.

I'm not sure what book I was talking about- probably Ivan Doig's The Whistling Season or Dancing at Rascal Fair - so far all of his books have been great.

Phoebe said...

I have been watching it and thought you would enjoy it! I thought the Mary part was sad and awful, but not as terrible as you describe it to be in the book.
I will have to find the book now!