Friday, August 09, 2013

Girls' Camp Week


It's been Girls' Camp this week in our stake.  Which got me thinking a lot about my own Girls' Camp memories.  Not just the ones from the 15 years I spent going to Girls' Camp in our stake - 1989 to 2003 - but my own memories as a Young Woman.

The above photo is undated but it's sometime between 1957 and 1963!!  Looks to be somewhere in the middle of that range.  I can identify most of the girls - starting from the left - Pam, Sandi Jensen, Robin Ketchum, unknown - or is that Alice?, MarDel, Sister Ketchum and it looks like my school friend Melba Sue Jacobsen.  She was not LDS, but her cousins were.  I don't really have a memory of going with her, but it sure looks like her.

That's the trouble with memories - they are selective.  My memories of camp include not liking the food very much and being hungry except when the "Camp Store" was open to buy ice cream and candy!!  And earning a green silk scarf for memorizing the Articles of Faith.  And singing around the campfire.  And making crafts out of items from nature.  And swimming at the big pool. And Sister Hawkins offering us raisins every night to keep us "regular!!"

And singing "Ninety Nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall" on the bus ride up!

Girls' Camp - and enduring tradition!!


No comments: