Thursday, February 06, 2014

A little light reading!


 Alice left this at Eliza's - said she'd read it on the plane, thought someone might want to read it.  It was good airplane fiction.  A somewhat schmaltzy story, but well written, good character development, intrigue, suspense, and a lot of regional color.  And a look into the past - the early 5o's and the polio scare.  When you want some escape lit, this is the story for you!!
 

I have enjoyed the other books by this author - The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses - so I was sure I'd enjoy this one.  I did - but I almost think it should be categorized as adolescent fiction.  It's a well-written story with some suspense and lots of regional color and flair.  The ending is a little "pat" in some ways, but there are some nice images and symbolism that save it from being too predictable.

Now I'm reading Dear Life, a collection of short stories by Alice Munro, Nobel Prize winner for literature last year.  So far they seem well-written, and very regional - she is Canadian - but I don't know much about Canada.  

Will do an update when I finish.

Happy reading to you too!!

1 comment:

Amy Girl said...

I've read both her books as well. I just put a hold on it at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.