Tuesday, February 04, 2014

The Blessing Dresses



When Bonny was born, my mother gave me a blessing dress that my Grandma Stevens had crocheted for her.  Bonny wore it for her blessing.  Unfortunately, there are no photos of Bonny wearing it.  She was a colicky baby who also spit up a lot.  I distinctly remember dressing her in the dress many times, propping her on a pillow on the couch, and getting set to take a photo.  Every time she spit up voluminous amounts.  So I said, "I will wash the dress and try again."  Apparently I gave up though!!

Phoebe wore the dress too - and there are also no photos of her wearing it.

When Eliza was born, my mom found a dress that she said had been my blessing dress - and probably Alice's and Mary's too, but she was not sure.  The dress was in terrible shape - yellowed, stained, ripped - but I was not to be thwarted!  I washed it in a solution of soap, water, and 2 teaspoons of bleach!!  And it came clean as a whistle!  I mended the tears and got new ribbon to thread through the sleeves and hem.  I was pretty excited.


Above is a shot of Eliza holding baby Ida wearing the blessing dress.
 

And here is Eliza wearing it.  I bought the little shoes for her to wear with it.  My grandmother had crocheted booties that Bonny wore, but I went with pink to match the ribbons in the dress.
 

Hannah wore the dress too - and the satin slippers.
 

And sweet little Rhoda wore it all yesterday!!
 

Phoebe wore Bonny's blessing dress - and this photo was taken on the day she was blessed - but for some reason, I changed her into a different dress for this photo.  Maybe I was afraid it would get ripped or stained.  It was a delicate, lacy dress. 


Agnes wore Bonny's blessing dress too - and the blanket my grandmother crocheted is her background here.  All of our children were wrapped in it for the blessing - boys and girls.  Some of the grandkids have been wrapped in it too I think.  Phoebe chose the pink slip for Agnes.
 

Eve wore the blessing dress too - the one that I had worn - you can mostly tell by the ribbon on the sleeves!
 

Here's Ara in the dress and the booties - and the yellow slip, rather than the pink slip.  I haven't kept track of the slips as much, but pretty much my dress goes with the pink slip and Bonny's dress goes with the yellow slip.  I know Bonny's other girls wore it too - but I don't have photos - maybe Bonny does and she will send them to me!!

The are both beautiful dresses - and when I wash and fix them as they need repair, I think of my Grandma Stevens.  And I think she would be really pleased!!

3 comments:

Eliza said...

I guess maybe Ida didn't wear the pink booties after all. And it looks like Hannah didn't either! How funny. I could swear she wore them. Maybe the wore them over those tights...hmm, I doubt it though.

grannybabs said...

Hannah wore them - they look white but it's the light I think - because on the original there is a touch of pink.

Donna said...

I wonder if Leslie or I wore the dress