Saturday, February 22, 2014

Women friends are the best!!


When I posted a photo of Tina,Val, and Sue Graham, my girls all responded with things like "I babysat for all of them," and "Love these women," and "80's and Monrovia East Ward!"  (This occasion today was a surprise 60th birthday party for Sue Graham - her girls pulled it off beautifully!!)

When I first moved into the Monrovia East Ward - we had been sliced off from the Monrovia Ward - I found out about a monthly birthday tradition that I participated in for many years - a very fun, lovely tradition.  

Every month we met to celebrate that month's birthdays.  We often ended up at Tina's house - her backyard backed up to the playground of Mayflower School, so it was close to where a lot of our kids were.

We each brought food.  I don't even remember if we sang Happy Birthday or not.  Sometimes there were gifts, sometimes not.  Sometimes a non-member friend came along.  Sometimes we turned them into baby showers if a baby shower was needed.  Always there was lots of love and friendship.

It was a special time in my life.  I will always have good memories of it!!

Friends are the best - value them, treasure them, keep them close.

And remember their birthdays!

3 comments:

Karen said...

The monthly birthday celebration gathering sounds like a lot of fun.

Karen said...

The monthly birthday celebration gathering sounds like a lot of fun.

grannybabs said...

We used to do it when we had little kids - each month we went to another house and we brought sack lunches for the kids and casseroles and salads for the moms. It was really a lot of fun. The party this time was a "favorite things" party - have you done those? I loved it - trying to think how I can adapt it to my own gatherings!!