Saturday, January 17, 2015

If you liked Seabiscuit, or Unbroken, you'll probably like this!


Hannah and Robbie gave Harry this book for Christmas.  He made the mistake of telling me I could read it too!  Once I started, I couldn't put it down!

It is a very compelling story about the 1936 Olympics and the University of Washington rowing team.  But it is also about the rise of Hitler in Germany, the Depression in the United States, the Dust Bowl, and the importance of a mother and family in a young boy's life.

I enjoyed the way the story was intertwined with history.  I have always said that stories are the best way to teach history!  The story is told from the point of view of a young rower named Joe Rantz, who took up rowing as a way to get himself through college.  As we learn Joe's story, we also learn about the effects of the Great Depression on life in the United States, and especially Seattle.  Later we learn about Joe's early life and the tragedies he endured as a boy.

As we see the development of Joe's rowing career, we also learn about the rise of Hitler in Germany.  All of these elements combine to make for a great read.  I commented to Harry that even though I knew throughout how the story ended, it was still exciting to read.  

And the ending is a real nail-biter!!

2 comments:

hanner said...

I sure know how to choose em don't i! ;)

grannybabs said...

You do!