Tuesday, March 17, 2015

At least, a keeper!


I was starting to think that I'd never find a book by a fave author that was as good as the ones that were my faves!!  S.E. Hinton and Natalie Babbitt were disappointing.

But Rodman Philbrick, author of Freak the Mighty - another middle school fave of mine - and my students - did not disappoint with The Fire Pony.

It is a YA novel - but even elementary school kids would enjoy it.  The mark of a good book for me is the ability of the story to grab different audiences at different levels.

It's a story about horses - lots of authentic detail.  But it's also about abandonment, the foster care system, addictions, and love and loss - all elements that can combine for some rich, detailed story-telling.

And there's a horse race in it - no spoilers here, but you'll be cheering!!

Number 16 on my list of 52 books to read in 2015.

I'm thinking I need to up the ante here - I will be at 52 by mid-year I think!!

There's a new Toni Morrison out April 21st.  And a new Maisie Dobbs that's available now.  I was ready to give up on her - the first 3 or 4 in the series were great, and then the quality seemed to go downhill. But the reviewer claims she's getting back up where she belongs - so I will give her a chance.

And let you know!

No comments: