Thursday, March 12, 2015

"In the leafy treetops!"


When I was Primary age, the three older classes for girls were Larks, Bluebirds, and Seagulls.  There were lots of requirements for moving on from one level to another, but one of them - to graduate from Primary - was to complete this sampler.

My brother Lyn and the boy next door - Freddy Vergine - built tree houses on our property and other property near us.  Often they discarded one and went on to another one.  One summer, Alice and I jumped - or should I say climbed - at the opportunity to take over a tree house up in a eucalyptus tree across the street from us. 

We went up daily and shouted down at the "little kids" or ate warm oranges off the trees in the orchard below or read books or - in my case - worked on my sampler.

It looks pretty nice in this photo, but up close you can see the uneven stitches.  But I was only 10, so cut me some slack!!

And it's a lovely memory!

No comments: