Friday, March 27, 2015

Little Known Novella


I was browsing the library shelves for Raymond Chandler - before I knew that he was in the murder-mystery section - and came across this by a fave author of mine - Willa Cather - and it caught my fancy.

I have never read a Willa Cather novel I did not like, and even though this is in some ways just a long short story, I really like this one too.

One reviewer made a comment about the change in focus in her novels being related to "getting away from the prairie," but I don't think that line of thought is quite accurate.  Women and men might face different issues in the prairie than they face in the cities, but the key is how they handle the issues they face.

This story rather dramatically shows how two women and one man face the trials of life in very different ways - but in the end, they all seem to have found peace.

A good, fast read for those who also love Ms. Cather - or even those who have never met her!

No comments: