Monday, March 02, 2015

Book number 11 checked off!


I'm not sure how I originally was introduced to Jhumpa Lahiri, but I have enjoyed every book of hers that I have read - which would be 2 novels and 2 collections of short stories.

She is Indian but was raised in London.  She must have traveled to India often, however, because she is able to evoke the many complex aspects of the country.  This is part of the appeal of her novels and stories - it is very easy to be transported to another world.

This story is complex and covers a large span of years.  Perhaps one of the draws for me was the fact that the main character was my age - and he had struggled with many of the same social and political issues that bombarded us in our young adult years.

The story is told in flashback and intersecting story lines - always an ingredient that can keep me glued to the story line.

If you aren't sure if you would like her or not, try one of the short story collections first.

I'm thinking you will like her style of writing.

No comments: