Monday, February 08, 2016

A banned book!!


How exciting to fill the category of "banned book!" in my 2016 Reading Challenge!  Phoebe lead me on to this one - it is a great read.  It's a YA or even adolescent novel, and it's really not objectionable in my book. But I can see where a conservative school district or town library could have parents and teachers who objected to its inclusion.

The story moves fast, the details are abundant, and it's totally believable that a young boy from an Indian reservation would have these kinds of experiences - at least it seems that way to me.  I have actually read other "Indian" stories that had a lot of the same elements.

The cover art makes you think it has some connection to The Indian in the Cupboard, but I didn't really see one.  Maybe it's just to make for a clever cover.

Read it - you will enjoy it!

2 comments:

hanner said...

Sherman Alexie is a great writer! The movie "Smoke Signals" is based on some of his short stories in another collection. Also the first movie to be written, directed and starring an all-Native cast. You would probably like them.

Phoebe said...

I loved "Smoke Signals"! I haven't thought about that one for years. Nice to make the connection.
Glad you enjoyed it, Mom. I thought it was good.