Wednesday, February 03, 2016

More from Elizabeth Strout



I previously reviewed the new novel, My Name is Lucy Barton,  by Elizabeth Strout, which I enjoyed.  I was interested because years ago I read Olive Kitteridge by the same author and quite enjoyed it - assumed I would enjoy other books by the same author.  I often read everything by one author - a habit I started in high school after reading Sinclair Lewis' Main Street.

Usually, if the author has a distinct style, I find the "sameness" of the stories and books relaxing and easy reading - what you need sometimes!

Also this go round, I am trying out another "reading challenge" for this year, but these two books don't fit any of the categories! The category they do fit, and one I'm trying to implement, is books from the library instead of buying them on Kindle!

At any rate, just finished these two.  Amy and Isabelle was a disappointment on many levels.  The story was dark and depressing with no redeeming elements.  It's about a high school math teacher who "crosses the line" with a troubled young lady in his class.  After the first few chapters, I skimmed in a major way just to get the story line.  Never a good recommendation in my book - a book you have to skim or skip!!  Thinking I should have just skipped it!  Ms. Strout's writing was a "off" too - seems as if she'd written the book to sell - and not much else, although it did win prizes when it was published.  Maybe it's me.

Just finished Abide With Me, about a minister in a small town in New England.  It was well-written, with a compelling story line and some very well-developed characters.  I often enjoy books about Protestant ministers, since that is such a foreign concept for an active Mormon.

Next books needs to be one of the categories from the challenge - not sure which one it will be!


No comments: