Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Rock Store!


Katie Harvey posted some photos of geodes and I responded with a comment about Burminco, the Rock Store, and she didn't remember it!  I was somewhat aghast - because I thought everyone in Monrovia knew about Burminco.  But I guess they didn't!

I told her that if she saw a picture of the place, she'd probably remember it.  So I went hunting for a photo - and look what I found??  A photo of George Burnham - founder of Burminco.  Originally it was Burnham's Mineral Company - Bur min co!!  Very clever!
 

Also found a photo of the store - which was a house really.  The Burminco store was started in a 3-car garage that George Burham owned on Encinitas! They lived there and ran the store.  Actually George was often spending months away from home, traveling around the world, gathering rocks and minerals!!
 

When I taught at Wildrose, I took 2 students a month to Burminco - a prize for doing your work, behaving, working hard - earning tickets for all sorts of good behavior - and then we had a drawing. The prize was a walk to Burminco - and no one was ever disappointed!!

I've taken Cub Scout dens, grandchildren, and of course children!!  I was sad to see it go - it has re-located in San Dimas - not quite the same though!

Just a little "walk down Memory Lane!"

No comments: