Saturday, February 20, 2016

Not sure what category to put this in!



My reading challenge for 2016 is a good one - and it may take me all year to fill the categories - but what about books that fill a category I've already filled?

This is one of them - and I'm liable to have lots of books for this category - a book recommended by a family member or friend!!

Leslie told me I had to read it - and I'm glad she did!  It's a great read - not sure why I'd never heard of it - it was written in 1924 and it's been made into a movie and PBS series a few years ago.

Mary Webb is a contemporary - almost - of Thomas Hardy - and this story has many Hardy-like elements.  But it is its own story and a good one too!

When you Google it, you find out everything - you'd think they'd be spoilers - but the reading of the book - even when you know what will happen - is where the joy lies.

For starters, it's written in dialect - and she does a great job with that and you feel like you are there in time!!  Also, the characters are well-drawn and compelling.  Also, there are elements of witchcraft and legend and history and culture which add a richness to the tale.

But above all else, it is a beautiful love story.  And who doesn't love a good romance??

No comments: