Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Campfire Girl


I was never a Girl Scout, but I was a Campfire Girl for a short period of time. My mom would only buy me the shirt, so I never really felt like a true Campfire Girl - maybe that is why I didn't stay in it long. And most of my friends were Girl Scouts, but my mom wasn't too keen on them - I think the troop in our area did lots of Sunday stuff.

I do remember selling Campfire Girl Marshmellows - they came in little boxes and I loved them. I also remember going to a campfire activity in the mountains - or at least it seemed like the mountains to me.

This is a good argument for young girls keeping journals - so we could know what we used to do, since I certainly can't remember what I used to do!!

And don't you love the hair??

5 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

i love the arms by the side and the joy in the face.

ara and ella did brownies - i think they wanted to do it for the uniforms - i wanted to do it so they wouldn't fuss at me in 30 years and complain that their mother wouldn't let them do brownies. althogh i'm sure they'll fuss at me about plenty i did or didn't do anyway.

ahhhh the circle of life.

Eliza said...

I thought Brownies and Daisies were pretty fun. I think maybe I made it to Junior Girl Scouts (?) but I'm not sure. I don't think our troop lasted much longer after I quit, or maybe it dissolved at the same time I quit. I don't really remember that either, although I'm sure Mom does.

I don't remember doing much other than somehow getting patches for my sash or apron or whatever, and I guess maybe I sold cookies but I don't remember doing that either. Mmm, Tagalongs.

I do like your hair--initially I thought maybe you were wearing swim goggles perched on your forehead.

Amy Girl said...

I see some Phoebe in this picture of you Barbara!

Phoebe said...

I don't get your bangs?!
I never got to do any sort of organized, girl society until I was in YW. I also didn't play soccer or the flute or any other extra-curricular activity. But other than that you did a pretty good job:)

grannybabs said...

I used to pin curl my bangs to get they out of my way - I don't think we had headbands back then - at least I didn't have one!