Saturday, June 24, 2006

Summer Jobs


Hannah seems to have a great summer job this year. For many years, summer jobs around here meant one of two things - working for Dad or lifeguarding. So she has broken out of the mold.

I had a plethora of summer jobs - working for a phonograph record manufacturer, playground aide (2 summers), blueprint technician, cosmetic factory minion, assosrted babysitting jobs and file clerking.

The above photo is from the blueprint tech job - Joan had worked there for several years and she got me the job. I drove to work with her - in her blue Rambler with the push button gears. The ladies she worked with were pretty nice - they all smoked like chimneys though. And they all sort of "watched out" for me, which was nice.

I think my favorite job was the playground aide - one year I coached a 6th grade girls' volleyball team to 2nd place in the LAUSD Summer Tournament - I'll bet that surprises some of you. Just proves my point that you don't have to be able to do something well to be able to help someone else do it well. (My kids often thought I couldn't supervise their piano practicing since I not only didn't play, I didn't even read music. They resisted me - and I'm sure rue the day that they did!)

I do have pictures from the playground aide days - but not of me. I think they are of my winning volleyball team - I will search for them and that will be another post.

I also enjoyed the distinction of being unbeaten for 2 summers in a row at checkers. I got nervous at times - my "kids" would bring contenders all the time - sure that I could beat them - and I worried about not being able to live up to their expectations! I'm still pretty good at checkers, but my reflexes are slower, so I do get beaten - but usually not by elementary students anyway!

10 comments:

Eliza said...

Did Shirley McLaine work there, too? Just wondering.

(At first glance one of the ladies kinda looked like her to me.)

I stand by the opinion that teaching swimming lessons (not necessarily lifeguarding) is one of the best summer jobs out there, as long as you don't care about getting your resume' ready for the future--in which case an internship or something similar in your field is better--but I didn't really care about that in college, so it was nice to just hang out in the pool with kids all summer. And I liked the excitement of teaching someone something they wouldn't have learned otherwise, and that would serve them the rest of their life.

Lifeguarding involved sitting on a sticky, hot chair and yelling at kids--less fun.

Donna said...

I remember going the playground with you when your worked there. I thought it was fun. my summer jobs were babysitting.

grannybabs said...

I was not denigrating lifeguarding/teaching swimming - just observing the trends around here. I have never been much of a swimmer, but I never knew anyone who worked as a lifeguard, so maybe there weren't a lot of those kinds of jobs available "back in the day."

grannybabs said...

She does look a bit like Shirley MacLaine. They were an interesting bunch of women. I wish I could go back in time - I'd be a peer!

hanner said...

It's true. I do have a great summer job.

Eliza said...

I didn't think you were denigrating it. I guess it looks like maybe I did--but I didn't. I was just commenting.

grannybabs said...

As we know, it's all about communication!

Betsy said...

My most interesting summer job was working for Salt Lake Parks and Rec out of the cemetery. I was the only real girl among many males. THere was a "girl" who was in the middle of transitioning...That was the interesting part.

grannybabs said...

Transitioning in or out of a cemetery?

Alice said...

I had most of the same jobs, playground director, cosmetic factory worker, electronics factory worker (where I picked up the wrong end of a sodering iron) and working at the record company. These jobs were ones that either I got from you or from Dad. It was an eye opener when I had to go out and get my own job. Dad was good to take me and help me. He was a great Dad. Summer was fun.