Friday, October 27, 2006

To Baby Chair or Not to Baby Chair


Baby Carrier 1970
Originally uploaded by grannybabs.
The controversial buzz in the mother's rooms of the late 60's and 70's involved the question of whether or not to use a baby carrier like this one.

Harry was pretty much opposed to them philosophically - they were all plastic and babies got left sitting in them a lot. Actually, it was a fairly new concept in baby gear and not everyone used them.

We got this as a gift - and it proved to be handy for a number of things - not the least of which was putting the baby up on something so they could look around at the world and see you as you went about the house.

2 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

i have to agree with dad. just tonight we were at a ward party and this lady had her 3 week old baby parked in the corner - in his car seat. In fact everytime I've seen him in the past 2 weeks (which has been 3 or 4 times) he's been in his car seat.

Poor guy - especially because this is the easy time to hold him.

I understand why people use them - I think they are great at times - but I think they are over used.

Eliza said...

I never thought about any of this stuff until the past few months--I guess that's normal. But I agree and logic/nature seems to point to the theory that babies do better when they get attached to people rather than things. I'm all for carrying/slinging. And like Bonny said, when they're so little, it's easier to carry them since they don't squirm as much and are a little lighter. I'm not into the full-blown attachment parenting thing but I completely embrace parts of it--like holding your baby, sleeping near him, etc. When he's still a baby.

One author in something I read (possibly in one of Bonny's Mothering magazines) pointed out that although the infant carrier car seat was handy for not waking up her baby on the way into the store or whatever, the baby was bound to wake up within a few minutes and want to be held anyway.